Here is a ministry overview from the past year and plans looking forward! I’m excited to announce that I have a matching donor for $1-$1 up to $60,000 for donations received between now and December 31, 2017. What can you do to help change the lives of women and children in South Africa?
Empower a Woman. Impact Generations. Lydia’s Mission empowers women in rural South Africa to feed, educate, and care for their children by earning a living wage. And, when a woman begins to grasp her value in Christ through intentional discipleship and Biblical training her life becomes the first ripple of hope…that will last for generations.
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel which means God with us” Matthew 1:23
Merry Christmas to you and your family! 2017 has clearly been a year of God with Lydia’s Mission and I’m excited to share this update with you.
First of all, THANK YOU, for your prayer and financial support this year. It feels like this has been a year living out the Gospel story of the loaves and fishes in the ministry. We began the year serving 35 women in 2 groups. Lydia’s Mission has grown in a way that can only be the work of God:
– Lydia’s Market Sewing Project now employees 10 South African women, full time, who have made over 1000 stuffed elephants and giraffes to date.
– Lydia’s Mission has demand in South Africa for our animals along with current plans for exporting and future online sales. Jobs are incredibly hard to find in eManzana where I live and full time employment has absolutely provided a sense of financial security for the women who sew, and for their children.
– The Mission is now feeding 1000 kids 5 days a week at 5 different feeding sites in eManzana because of the proceeds from the Sewing Project. We have also hired 6 women to cook at the sites.
– Lydia’s Mission now has 5 Women’s groups with 100 women who meet weekly for Bible Study and community and the groups are growing. I was so blessed to baptize women from the group that meets at the eManzana garbage dump. The groups also make handcrafts for local sale through Lydia’s Market providing much needed income for the women and their families.
– The Mission purchased a ministry pickup truck that provides transport for the Sewing Ladies so they don’t have to walk 10km to and from work every day. The truck is also used to deliver over 2000 pounds of food and multiple loads of firewood to the feeding sites each month.
– Lydia’s Mission was granted South African non-profit status as Public Benefit Organization (the US version of an NGO) and is working on similar non-profit 501 (c)3 status in the United States.
– As the founder of Lydia’s Mission, I have added a 7 member Advisory Board to help with strategy and governance for the ministry.
Lydia’s Mission is extremely grateful for the ways God has provided in 2017. He is good! But there is so much more work to do to release the Lydia’s Mission statement, “Partnering with God to make a difference, one life at a time.”
God has given me a vision for 2018 that includes a significant growth plan with purchasing land to establish the Lydia’s Mission Ministry Center. We have identified a number of growth opportunities for expansion of Lydia’s Market that will provide sustainable employment and child feeding potential. I am excited, humbled and a bit nervous about the prospect of growth, but know we serve a very big God!
The 70-acre property we’re considering for the Ministry Center is located on Prayer Mountain near where I live in eManzana. It has 5 existing buildings in very good condition. There is suitable land and water for our farming and egg projects, both of which will provide steady employment for local women.
Lydia’s Mission’s goal is to raise $250,000 US dollars. We are excited to announce that we have a matching donor for $1 – $1 up to $60,000 for donations received by 12/31/2017. What can you do to help change the lives of women and children in South Africa?
– Please continue to keep Lydia’s Mission and me in your daily prayers. I need it!
– Consider a financial contribution, one time or monthly toward the new Ministry Center by going to ServingInAfrica.org and clicking on the Donate tab.
– Share the Lydia’s Mission story with your friends including our most recent ministry overview video: Lydia’s Mission Overview
Maybe you will never come to visit in South Africa, but you can absolutely be a part of God’s work here. I pray the peace of Christ in this Christmas season and a happy, healthy 2018.
With love and gratitude,